Elise LIU is currently a Form Four student of Diocesan Girls’ School (DGS), and a junior student of the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts.
Under the guidance of Mr. Choy Lap Tak, Elise received many prizes in local and international competitions, including
- First Prize in the 2013 Italy Percussion Competition
- Special Young Talent Award in the International Marimba Competition 2012 Salzburg
- Second Prize Winner (2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015) of the Parsons Music Scholarship for Wind, Brass and Percussion Instruments (open class competition of the Hong Kong Schools Music Festival)
- First and Third Prizes of the Hong Kong Young Musicians of the Year in 2008 (Grade 5) and 2010 (Grade 8) respectively, and
- First Prizes in the Hong Kong Schools Music Festival Primary and Secondary Schools Xylophone and Marimba Solo Competitions.
Elise’s marimba playing was highly appraised by many international marimbists, including Mr. Robert Van Sice (Director of Percussion Studies at the Yale University School of Music), Kal Stensgaard, Marta Klimasara and Casey Cangelosi (who gave her 96 out of 100 marks in the Italy Percussion Competition), and Professor Ludwig Albert (founder of the prestigious “Universal Marimba Competition and Festival of Belgium”, professor at the Royal Conservatoire of Music Antwerp and at the Leuven University College of Arts). Professor Ludwig Albert commented in the 2013 Ludwig Albert Academy Concert that Elise’s performance of his composition, “Feel the Sunlight”, was the best and most touching version that he had heard.
Elise also studied piano with Miss Julia Kuok, Ms. Eleanor Wong and Mr. Kam Wing Chong, and received a number of First Prizes in Piano Competitions of Hong Kong Schools Music Festival. She was awarded the DGS Exhibition for Music in 2012/13 and 2014/15 and invited for solo marimba performance in the 2014 DGS Easter Concert. In addition, Elise performed in the 2014 Yes I Can Recital organized by the Radio Television Hong Kong which was broadcasted on its radio programmes and website.
Johann Sebastian Bach
Prelude and Fugue No. 21 in B-flat, BWV 866
“Intermezzo” from Cavallera Rusticana
Variations on Dowland’s Lachrimae Pavana
Feel the Sunlight
Concerto for Marimba and Strings
II. rythmique, energique